Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: I'm already obsolete :(
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:49 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Like they say a new computer is obsolete before you get it home. Same is true for a built at home system. ;)

Forget the Intel I7 series. At the low price of $1029.00 USD you can now have a 10 core Intel I9 CPU. Of course it will cost you another ~$635.00 USD for a motherboard and memory.

I9 CPU
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... duct#close

Motherboard and memory
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBun ... bo.3555578
Hmmm, the memory included in the bundle is stated at 3200 MHz. but the I9 specs state 2666 MHz.. I'm going to assume that the I9 specs. are correct and the memory will step down to match.

Yes, this CPU will blow my AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU away... sort of. THE I9 will, of course run at a higher level but the memory it can handle is slower which should close the gap a bit. The I9 can only use DDR4-2666 MHz. memory while the Ryzen 7 can use, at least, DDR4-4000 MHz. memory although DDR4-3200 MHz. is reported as the 'sweet spot' combining cost and performance. Of course, considering the cost increase of setting up an I9 system, you could buy that 4000 MHz. memory and still be way lower as to cost. The I9 would still be faster but the faster memory in the Ryzen system would make up one heck of a lot of ground. Memory running at 1.5 times the speed makes a huge difference.

Oh, come September there will be 12, 14, 16 and 18 core versions of the I9. LOL! I'd love to see the price of the 18 core. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I'd love to see the price of the 18 core. ;)

I might be able to afford one 10 years from now, i'll get back to you :rofl2:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:55 pm 

Hey, at least I'm done building for a while. ;) Well not quite as I still need to pull all the wires out from behind my entertainment system and hook stuff up to my UPS battery backup.

Case, Power supply and DVD burner showed up today to re-build my old system and that is done. Just going through the long and tedious process of installing Windows. Since I'm not about to spend $200.00 on Windows 10 Pro I have to install Windows 7 then the first release of Windows 10 then the Anniversary upgrade then the Creator's upgrade. It makes it a long process but is better than spending $200.00. ;) I burned physical copies of all the installs. Sounds like I'm cheating using old media but I'm really not. While the free upgrade to Windows 10 is no longer available for most it is still active if you are disabled. Since I get a military disability pension I qualify. The only problem is that it is only available through an on-line install. I'd rather go through the steps and do it from local media. Right now Windows 7 is done and the first of the Windows 10 installs is about half way through.

I kind of like the new case I got and am almost tempted to tear apart the new build and switch cases. Note that I said 'almost tempted', not going to happen. ;) Still, for ~$40.00, it seems to be a nice case. It came with front, rear and top case fans installed and is the first 'quick mount' drive cage that I have not removed and used screws. The drives actually lock in solid, you cannot move them at all. Mayhaps the fans and drive mounts are why it averages 5 eggs (stars) on Newegg.com after ~2800 reviews. The Gigabyte motherboard I'm using does not have enough case fan connections for all three fans so I just connected the front and rear. I could get an adapter for power to the top fan but doubt that I'll bother.

Sigh, I dread pulling out all the wires behind my entertainment system.

<edit>
BTW, here is the link to still upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... 26de6690bb)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-z2BG6FjR8rNT3idh7uhGSg)()

The page states that you must use 'assistive technologies' but I spoke with Microsoft and they said that they were not about to deny disabled military veterans.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:25 pm 
welcoming committee

I think you can skip the 7 install and use the key from 7 when installing 10 from scratch.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:46 pm 

Nope, My Windows 10 keys are from when I was getting MS MVP awards and will not work directly entered into Windows 10 as they are MSDN codes. There MAY be work-arounds but I tried once and the key was not accepted. Ya, I DO know one work-around. I could install Windows 10 without a code and then call MS to straighten it all out and it would end up working. In a way I have already done this on my new main build as, of course, activation was reset due to hardware changes. I ended up with Windows 10 activated on the new build but had to go through three phone call transfers and about half an hour. Yes, that would be quicker than what I'm doing but I'm watching football and in no hurry on the installs. Throw in a DVD and look back in half an hour, ;)

What I REALLY wish is that I had more forsight. If I had thought things totally to the end I would not have wiped my 240 GB SSD system drive originally the boot drive in the old build. Since the hardware is the same I could have just cloned the SSD to the mechanical drive in the rebuild and been done will software installs done and everything. Sorry to say that by the time I thought of this the SSD had already been reformatted to do duty as a video encoding scratch drive. I could probably still do it as I have a system image of the bootable SSD but would rather re-install stuff than pull the drive out... Hmmm, could probably just restore the image to the current drive in the re-build but I'm almost done anyway, just not worth starting over. Nope, that would not be valid as I would then be running two installs of Windows 10 with the same Windows 7 key code. It would work but would not be morally right. Yes, it would probably also not be legally right but I care more about the moral aspect.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:58 am 

Actually I shall correct myself a bit. Since I have the original Windows 10 install media I probably could have skipped installing Windows 7 first as the initial install of Windows 10 would accept Windows 7 key codes. If you were to download the current install for Windows 10 it would not accept a Windows 7 code.

Something that I absolutely do not know is if I actually had to go through the process of installing the original Windows 10 then following with the Anniversary and Creator's builds. For all I know I may have been abal to just install the Ceators build install. I really have zero knowledge as to this possibility but my hunch is that it would not work.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware