Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:40 am 
welcoming committee

Planning a new pc in the next half-year or less. Now you must understand, I know next to diddly squat about hardware. If I were to purchase it today from the company that I will almost certainly be buying it from, I have many choices on Processors but I have narrowed it down to two (of course by the time I go to buy it new processors may be out).

The Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2GHz Quad Core 8MB 91W
and the
Intel Xeon E3-1275 V6 3.8GHz Quad Core 8MB 73W

Now to my untrained eye, the 4.2GHz would be more powerful and faster. But the Xeon actually costs a bit more.

My question: Why would a less powerful processor cost more? Is there something special about the Xeon's?

Thanks a bunch, Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:11 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
It isn't always about raw speed. More important is throughput or how fast info actually passes. On the surface one would think that the 4.2 GHz. processor would automatically do this faster than a 3.8 GHz. but that is not always true.

To be honest I don't know much about the Xeon CPU except for the possibly wrong assumption that they are normally associated with servers.

Cost wise you might want to consider an AMD CPU. When I was deciding between an AMD Ryzen and Intel I7 8-core CPU cost was the deciding factor. The two benchmark about even. One will slightly win one test and the other another. Taking an average they are pretty even. The difference is that the AMD costs $489.99 while the Intel costs $999.99.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:39 am 
welcoming committee

Hey everyone, I am asking this question again in case anyone has anymore to offer. Remember hardware is my weakest area and THAT'S saying something considering how many areas I am weak in.

What makes Xeon processors so special for the normal pc user, or are they overkill?

Thanks a ton, Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:12 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Between the I7 and Xeon go with the I7. As I said before Xeon is associated with servers due to the higher throughput. You will never see the difference unless you are doing extreme video/graphics editing or running something like Auto CAD.

LOL!!! ;) If you go with the 'I' series you may also want to look into the new I9 processors although they would probably increase your cost a fair amount. LOL! An 18-core I9 would only cost you $2,099.99.
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/ ... nsearchb2b
The funny thing is that the clock speed is only 2.6 GHz.. Again it is all about throughput, not clock speed.

Again you might look at AMD processors. I thought my new AMD Ryzen wes 8-core but appears to actually be 16-core. Matches quite well against a high level I7 and costs less than a third the amount. A 10 core I7 would cost you over $1500.00. This is just for an example of cost differences. Both these processors would be major overkill for your needs.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware