Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:45 pm 
welcoming committee

I am experiencing repeated internet connectivity failure after my machine has been on for a lengthy period of time. For instance, today I've had to restart my computer at least 4 times to reestablish my connection. When I go to Manage Devices, the network adapter says it's working okay. Only after I disable, then enable the driver does it show a yellow triangle with an exclamation point on my task bar for the Network Access Icon. I'm assuming that the integrated network adapter on the motherboard is going bad because I have installed the latest Intel driver.

Can I bypass the integrated adapter with a network card that plugs into the motherboard via the PCI Express 1 slot? I hope I can do this to avoid buying a new MOBO!

Attachments:
File comment: This is only $30 including shipping from Newegg.
Intel 10-100-1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 xRJ45.PNG
Intel 10-100-1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 xRJ45.PNG [ 122.68 KiB | Viewed 14506 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:00 pm 
Fearless Leader

Sure, assuming you have an open PCI Express slot. You can also get a USB one, but PCI is probably better. Check to see if you don't have a second Ethernet port on your motherboard first. I have two. Also try a different slot on your router, and reversing your Ethernet cable end to end, and rebooting the router. I don't expect any of the last 3 to have an effect, but you never know. Oh yes, and try a different cable!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:10 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Check to see if you don't have a second Ethernet port on your motherboard first.

Unfortunately I only have a single Ethernet port. That's why I have to go this route. This is the first time I have experienced this from any of my builds. I took my can on compressed air and blew out the port. I do have an extra cable to try also. My board also has the correct slot available for the card.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:24 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This does not really apply any more but may still help... Yes, the adapter may well be going south.

Go to the properties of the adapter and see if there is a power or advanced tab. If either is there look for an option that allows Windows to turn off the device to save power. It the option is there make sure that it is not checked. Apply and back out by clicking all the 'OK' buttons. Re-boot and see what happens.

This issue is old and probably does not apply to your situation but can do not harm. It is also more common with laptops than desktops but I have seen it on desktops. First started seeing it in the days of Windows Vista and it has become more and more less frequent but that does not mean that it cannot still occur.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:16 pm 
Fearless Leader

Good call, Jay. I forgot that one. The easiest way to find this in Windows 10 is to go to Device Manager and find your network adapter and go to its properties there.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay I don't have that option available in the Advanced section. I'll try a new cable next. My third option will be to add the network card. I'll post again with updates.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:21 pm 

I'm not all that surprised that the option isn't there Terry but it was worth a try. That setting is more common with wireless.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:46 pm 
Fearless Leader

Terry, go to Device Manager. Locate your network adapter. Right-click on it and go to Properties. You will see a Power Management tab. This is what you want and will have the setting for letting the computer turn it off.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Patty I found Properties>Power Management tab. I had four options to check or uncheck. I unchecked them all. This didn't fix the issue as I lost the internet yesterday a couple times. I haven't been on the computer at all today.

I did get my new network card earlier today. It will be installed tomorrow evening and the driver updated if necessary. I'll post the results.

Attachments:
PowerManagement-1.PNG
PowerManagement-1.PNG [ 19.81 KiB | Viewed 14470 times ]
PowerManagement-2.PNG
PowerManagement-2.PNG [ 19.49 KiB | Viewed 14470 times ]

_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:19 pm 
Fearless Leader

Interesting set of options. This is an Intel applet, not a standard Windows one. Oddly there is no option to turn off power saving - so we don't really know if it is being turned off or not. These are all about events that are allowed to wake the adapter up.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:25 pm 

I doubt thst it would be of help but I'd like to see the options under the 'Advanced' tab.

Personally I think that the option for 'Energy Efficient Ethernet' equates to the option we were looking to check.

From what I've experienced power setting differ between wired and wireless adaptors. The 'turn off' option seems to show more often for wireless.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:04 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Interesting set of options. This is an Intel applet, not a standard Windows one...

What's the difference Patty? What's an applet? I downloaded this driver directly from the Intel website.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Last edited by Ritzter13 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:59 am 
Fearless Leader

Call it an applet, utility or user interface - same thing. It's how you interact with the device. You could think of an applet as a small application, which is exactly what the word means.

It's because you downloaded it from Intel that you are seeing Intel's applet, and not the standard Microsoft interface. Intel has replaced the standard properties for the device with their own. This is the standard Microsoft property sheet:
Attachment:
adapter properties.jpg
adapter properties.jpg [ 39.5 KiB | Viewed 14454 times ]

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:58 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you Patty for your explanation.

I have installed the new network adapter card and let Windows install the necessary driver. I now have a similar Properties>Power Management window as your example. The question I have now is do I leave all the boxes checked because that's the default setup?

Attachments:
NewNetworkAdapterProperties.PNG
NewNetworkAdapterProperties.PNG [ 49.6 KiB | Viewed 14445 times ]

_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:08 am 

You are probably OK to leave the defaults.

I always uncheck the ability for the computer to turn off the device when it is a network adaptor but a lot of that is just habit.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:41 am 
Fearless Leader

I would uncheck the box allowing the computer to turn the adapter off to save power. This is a desktop computer, right, not a laptop?

I unchecked mine as soon as I saw that the box was checked. I had to fiddle with my adapters the other day and that setting got set back to default. I see no reason on a desktop computer to "save power" on a device like a network adapter.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:12 pm 
welcoming committee

The comment about the desktop adapter makes perfect sense to me too. All your input was spot on. Everything is running normal now, no loss of internet since the new installation. Thank you Patty! Thank you Jay!

BTW Patty, have you seen the new Star Trek Beyond movie. It was fantastic. I recommend a 3D IMAX theater for viewing. :tup: :tup:

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:47 pm 
Fearless Leader

Hi Terry,

Yes, saw the latest Star Trek movie. Loved it. Don't really care for 3D.

I would have liked to have seen a little bit more of an "In Memorium" to Anton Yelchin than simply "For Anton" at the end of the movie.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware