Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:54 pm 
welcoming committee

I know that most UPS/battery backups also serve as surge protectors. But for those of you using a UPS, do you also use a separate surge protector? If so, do you plug the surge protector into the UPS, or vice versa?

Also, do you plug your external drives into the UPS? I would think that a power failure in the middle of a disk read/write might really damage the drive.

Any other components that you think should be plugged into a UPS? Maybe a modem and router to maintain communications?

Thanks in advance.......

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:17 am 
Site Admin

I do not use a surge protector as that is the job of my UPS which provides backup power, surge protection, and voltage regulation.
Pretty much everything gets plugged into the UPS -- the PC, monitors, and external drives are plugged into the backup power side. Chargers for portable devices get plugged into the outlets that get protection without backup power. I have a separate UPS for the cable modem, NAS, router and 8 port switch -- all of those devices are on the battery backup side.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:52 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the info, Steve. A problem I have with my current UPS is that the ports on the backup power side are so close together that I can't get the power supplies for my Seagate external drives to go in side-by-side. One power supply takes up the space of two ports. So currently I have the 3 externals plugged into a strip surge protector, which is then plugged into one power side port on the UPS. That then leaves me room for my PC and monitor.

But I was reading elsewhere on the internet where some users plug their UPS into a surge protector, which is then plugged into the wall outlet. So I was just curious.

Do you mind me asking what brand/model/size UPS you have? I'm in the market for a new one.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:40 am 
Fearless Leader

Hi Bb, you should know that not all UPS'es provide voltage regulation. Last I looked, and it's been awhile, the low end UPS'es cost around $65 and do not provide voltage regulation. This is probably why people plug them into surge protectors - but I have no idea as to the efficacy of that solution.

When you are shopping for a UPS, look at the package carefully and see if it uses any of these descriptions:
voltage regulation, line conditioning or power conditioning. These all mean it is regulating the voltage that goes into your computer. This is far better than mere surge protection, and, in my opinion, greatly lengthens the life of electronic devices. I attribute the fact of never having a hard-drive failure to being on a good UPS.

Next, make sure it has the appropriate wattage for your computer system and peripherals. Mine was a 1200W unit, which was a pretty powerful machine. It finally died and I haven't replaced it as I can't justify the cost at this point. Mine cost around $250. But I was running a business machine, and used more peripherals in those days.

As to what to plug in - absolutely put your external drives on battery backup; as you say, losing power in the midst of a write operation wouldn't be a good thing. I then started adding the most important peripherals. You can decide on what seems most important to you. The one thing you shouldn't put on a UPS is a printer. And you know what? I can't remember why. Maybe Steve knows. I think it is because it doesn't do a proper shutdown (like the computer will with the supplied software) and it causes problems when the power comes back on. I've seen this situation blow out the printer's firmware.

My favorite brands have disappeared - first Belkin, then Ultra Products. What's left is APC, which I never liked, but seems to be top of the food chain in terms of UPSes. There are others, Tripp Lite, Cyberpower. Of those two, I'd probably look at Tripp Lite. Just make sure you get your voltage regulation. You're going to spend more for that, but it is worth it.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:24 pm 
welcoming committee

Patty, check online for replacement batteries for your dead unit, might be able to swap them out for much cheaper than a new one.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:44 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Patty..........my online shopping has begun.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:39 pm 
Fearless Leader

I have, Dave, but there's another issue. The software doesn't work with Windows 10 and I wasn't able to find any other software to replace it with. Without that, your computer just shuts down when electricity is interrupted, no full Windows shutdown.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:35 pm 
welcoming committee

I have a battery settings in the Power Options in 10. Lets me choose what to do when battery is low, maybe that would work for you. My UPS is connected by USB and seen in the device manager so that may make a difference if yours is connected differently. Shut down, hibernate, sleep or do nothing options are available to me.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:
Thanks for the info, Steve. A problem I have with my current UPS is that the ports on the backup power side are so close together that I can't get the power supplies for my Seagate external drives to go in side-by-side. One power supply takes up the space of two ports. So currently I have the 3 externals plugged into a strip surge protector, which is then plugged into one power side port on the UPS. That then leaves me room for my PC and monitor.

But I was reading elsewhere on the internet where some users plug their UPS into a surge protector, which is then plugged into the wall outlet. So I was just curious.

Do you mind me asking what brand/model/size UPS you have? I'm in the market for a new one.

I have been using Tripp Lite units for a number of years now. I tend to go for the larger units, which also have more outlets and typically have some spaced apart for power bricks.
It is my understanding that one never wants to plug a UPS into a surge protector. Patty is correct, though, in that all UPSs are not equal in terms of capabilities -- the low end units tend to simply provide a short window of battery to allow the PC to perform a controlled shut down. I go for a larger capacity, voltage regulation, and surge protection. It is important to not overload a battery backup, too, with too may devices. You need to add up the wattage draw for what you will attach and be sure that your UPS can support that draw.

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:31 pm 
Fearless Leader

dvair wrote:
I have a battery settings in the Power Options in 10. Lets me choose what to do when battery is low, maybe that would work for you. My UPS is connected by USB and seen in the device manager so that may make a difference if yours is connected differently. Shut down, hibernate, sleep or do nothing options are available to me.

Well that is very interesting! Of course this issue raised its head here when I had just gotten Windows 10 and knew almost nothing about it. I actually had seen those settings, but figured they had to do with laptops. Didn't occur to me that it would apply to the UPS.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
MacDuffie wrote:
dvair wrote:

Well that is very interesting! Of course this issue raised its head here when I had just gotten Windows 10 and knew almost nothing about it. I actually had seen those settings, but figured they had to do with laptops. Didn't occur to me that it would apply to the UPS.

LOL! :mrgreen: When you put a UPS on a desktop does it not, to a point, make it a REALLY big laptop? :)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:39 pm 
welcoming committee

That is somewhat true Jay. I have my old Belkin UPS connected to my wife's computer and it does think its a laptop. Gives me a bunch of extra options in the Action Pop-up menu.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:35 am 
welcoming committee

I have my UPS's plugged in to surge protectors. I use Zero Surge brand surge protectors and they are rated much superior to the strip plug one's Also I use Cyberpower UPS's particularity the ones that output sinewave power as opposed to the more traditional square wave. Everything is plugged into them save the laser printer.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:38 am 
welcoming committee

I also plug everything into a surge protector. In my case it's because my electrician installed them directly into the electrical panels when I built the house. In effect all my electrical appliances are plugged into surge protectors. Each panel has one which basically looks like a circuit breaker in the panel but has a light to tell you its working. They been there since 1998 just working away.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:14 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
I have my UPS's plugged in to surge protectors. I use Zero Surge brand surge protectors and they are rated much superior to the strip plug one's Also I use Cyberpower UPS's particularity the ones that output sinewave power as opposed to the more traditional square wave. Everything is plugged into them save the laser printer.

Pete, I just ordered me a CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD PFC Sinewave Series UPS. It has 10 outlets....all surge protected and 5 on battery backup. It also has USB and serial ports.

I ordered it from B&H Photo, my go-to online store. It should arrive tomorrow, and then the fun begins as I try to move my furniture and peripherals around to get to everything. :omg:

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:35 am 
welcoming committee

I've got two of them and am very pleased. The moving furniture, I don't speak to. :)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:45 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
I've got two of them and am very pleased. The moving furniture, I don't speak to. :)

My UPS has two USB charging ports......I understand what those are for (iPad, iPhone, etc). But it also has another USB port and it came with a USB cable. What is this port/cable to be used for?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:02 pm 

Keep in mind that the following is in general, not specific to your UPS.

The 'extra' USB port is probably to connect to your system. There should also be software to install to where you can setup what is to happen in case of a power loss. The USB port is how the UPS communicates with the system. If it is a decent UPS, as I'm sure it is, it isn't just a battery but needs to be considered as a device that needs installed.

Some of your power outage settings are likely to be things such as to shutdown the system immediately, shut down after a specific time period and shut down when the UPS battery is down to a specific percentage of a full charge.

My personal choice as to setup would be to go with shutdown when the UPS battery is to a specific percentage of a full charge if that option is available. This will cover cases where the power interruption is momentary avoiding a shutdown that was not needed. It will also give you time to save data if you happened to be working on something at the time of the outage. I cannot say what percentage to use as that would depend on how strong the UPS happens to be. If it would keep your system running for 15 minutes I would go with 50%. If it would keep it going for an hour I'd go with 15-20% That does not mean that you have to wait for the battery to drain as you can manually shut things down like normal at any time. This thought is just to avoid losing work in progress, gives time to save work in progress.

So how do you determine how long the UPS will keep the system running? I don't know if this is cool to do or not but would be my first thought. Set the thing to shut down the system when the battery level is at 50% and time how long it takes for it to shut down when you unplug the UPS from the wall socket. Double the time and you have an idea as to how long the UPS can keep the system running. To give a little leeway I would put the system under a slight load by playing solitaire or something else that is trivial, just gives a little buffer as to the time you have without the system just sitting idle.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. My UPS did come with software - PowerPanel Management Software, it is called. But there were absolutely no instructions on purpose, how/when to install, or any helpful info. But what you say makes a lot of sense. Hopefully I will get it all installed over the weekend, including the movement of furniture (which Pete has promised to come help me do). Right now I am putting an 8-hour charge on the batteries, per CyberPower recommendation.

I will let you know what my shutdown options are once I get it all hooked up. I've owned several UPSs, just none this fancy (to me).

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
So how do you determine how long the UPS will keep the system running? I don't know if this is cool to do or not but would be my first thought. Set the thing to shut down the system when the battery level is at 50% and time how long it takes for it to shut down when you unplug the UPS from the wall socket. Double the time and you have an idea as to how long the UPS can keep the system running. To give a little leeway I would put the system under a slight load by playing solitaire or something else that is trivial, just gives a little buffer as to the time you have without the system just sitting idle.

It isn't recommended that you have any connected devices powered on when connected to the UPS when it is not connected to power. You are effectively removing ground. A better choice for your test scenario would be to plug the UPS into power strip with a switch or a switched outlet and power off the strip/outlet that the UPS is plugged into. :-)

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:56 pm 

@ Steve: Thanks for the correction as to proper testing. Considering that adaptation of your safely grounding by using a power strip would you consider my thought on testing for a time frame as to battery life valid?

@ BB: Good luck and I'd figure that the instructions are included on the software install CD/DVD. When you put in the CD/DVD it will probably automatically wan to install software. You need to allow this to happen. During the software in installed you may or may not have the option to install a manual. You have plenty of drive space and it would probably be fine to allow the inclusion of the manual.

If an install of the manual is not offered just open the CD/DVD in File Explorer and look for a folder named Manual, Docs or anything along those lines. I'm sure that you will find documentation as to setup and settings. If not you MAY have to go to the manufacturer's site to download a manual.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:23 pm 
welcoming committee

@Jay - The UPS came with a manual (User Guide), but it didn't mention the software. But like you said, there may be more instructions on the CD.

The User Guide was a 4 sectional foldout, all in English. But the print was so small that I literally had to use my magnifying glass.

I am a big believer in downloading/keeping User Manuals. I have a folder on my desktop so-titled, and it includes everything from my computer stuff to my LG washer & dryer.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:47 pm 
welcoming committee

I use the CyberPower Panel software. It is pretty easy to use. The main thing is when you want to change some settings, it will bring up the Windows UAC box before you can make the changes. There aren't many to make, if you want the alarms to sound and how you want it to shutdown.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:02 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
@ Steve: Thanks for the correction as to proper testing. Considering that adaptation of your safely grounding by using a power strip would you consider my thought on testing for a time frame as to battery life valid?

Yes, indeed. ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:28 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
I use the CyberPower Panel software. It is pretty easy to use. The main thing is when you want to change some settings, it will bring up the Windows UAC box before you can make the changes. There aren't many to make, if you want the alarms to sound and how you want it to shutdown.

Well, my new CyberPower UPS has been installed.......furniture moved, UPS connections made, furniture moved back, and everything works.

David, I still haven't installed the Panel Software, as I'm not sure which settings I would ever want to change. Are the default settings not sufficient?

One question I do have is the Events Number.....mine currently shows 4, yet I've had no power outages. I did turn the unit off/on a few times as I was moving it around and installing it. Might those be counted as Events?

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware