Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post subject: Backup & Restore
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Win7/Office 10
I don't know what just happened.
I create a system image every Friday.
I finished the image and said no, I don't want to create a backup disk.

After the image, I backup the data.
Backup is a daily routine, image is weekly.
When I clicked on backup, I got a message saying something to the effect, You haven't set up a backup program, would you like to Restore? The screen flashed very quickly (it's the normal screen that I would view if I wanted to Manage My Backups) to all my backups since January 1. It showed me a few restore points, but I chose the 2/1/13 @ 3.14pm (the newly created Image). A few minutes later, my computer restarted and everything is back to normal the way it's supposed to be. Outlook is fine, my Calendar is fine. I assume everything else is fine.

In spite of you guys (here) telling me to run backups until the HD is full, I clean it out every few months because, even with 500GB, the drive slows down or I have to restart the computer after the image fails, which is does almost like clockwork. After restart, it always runs smoothly. Quirky, I guess.

All is well, I would like to not have this happen again.
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Backup & Restore
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:17 pm 
welcoming committee

Nancy I don't have an answer for your question but I need clarification. When you run Windows Backup I believe it mentions a Windows Repair Disk. This is not a backup disk. You would use this when your system won't start correctly or at all period. You start your computer from a CD/DVD disk drive after you insert the repair disk. You then have different options available to repair windows or restore via system restore points or system image. To do this you have to change how your computer starts within the BIOS to make your CD-ROM drive the first boot option.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post subject: Re: Backup & Restore
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:39 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm sure I got the wording wrong, because I took action instead of notes.
I made a repair disk (or a few) a long time ago, so when I am asked weekly, I say no. I can go to MS online and download Win7 at any time.

There was nothing wrong with my computer prior to or after creating the image except for that very strange message.
I'm not sure what it was, because then, as now, I have backups from January 1, along with a couple of images.
I don't why it was necessary for me to restore my computer.

I just backed up my data. I checked manage my backups and everything is still there from January 1st.
In backup, I have 58.73GB data file backup, 59.64GB system image, & 63.30GB other files.

Thank you.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?