Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:23 pm 
welcoming committee

I am curious to find out about OneDrive. I have seen the notification on right pane on the screen that OneDrive new notification. But I really don't know what is OneDrive do with the operating system of Windows 10. Is that belong to Microsoft? If no use, can I disable OneDrive or leave it alone as is.

John

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:35 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
OneDrive is on-line or 'Cloud' storage supplied by Microsoft. You can get a free account of, I think, 35 GB. Also 1 TB of storage is included with Office 365/2016.

I use it to back up my photos and music along with some documents. Once you setup a OneDrive folder on your hard drive it will automatically sync between that folder and the OneDrive Cloud storage. I use it but will not put anything on it that includes personal information.

One advantage of OneDrive is that you can access any included files on any device at any location.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

The free storage is now 5 Gigs.

https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... n-US&ad=US

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 pm 

Thanks Steve, I stand corrected as to the free space. It has been a long time since I've looked at the free stuff as I have Office 365/2016 which includes the 1 TB storage.

Actually I have the Home/Student (?) version of Office which includes three PC licenses and, I think, 5 mobile devices. Since each device that has a shared Office account also has its own 1 TB of OneDrive storage I actually have a total of 3 TB on OneDrive. I suppose, if I included my two tablets, I could have a total of 5 TB storage but really can't see any reason to put Office on my tablets.

This may be off topic but, personally, think that it applies to this post... By default the local OneDrive folder resides within the User folder but, when setting up, you can specify a different location. On all three of my PC systems I have OneDrive set up to be on my data drive/partition. Since the systems are setup to sync the data drives/partitions it boils down to the fact that I have three redundant on-line backups of my data. Of course I do not include any data that contains personal information.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

No problems. The free space was once 25 gigs, as I recall, with various bonus gigs for things such as registering a Windows Mobile/Phone device. When they announced the cut to 5 gigs, they had a grace period where all you had to do was sign up and the basic free amount was set to 15 gigs. You are correct about 1 Terabyte with Office 365 -- Personal gets that, Premium (Family) gets that per user, up to 5 licenses, so theoretically 5 Gigabytes of OneDrive space with your annual subscription.
On the security topic --
Your OneDrive data is encrypted in transit -- that means when uploading and downloading. To access the data a user must have your Microsoft account or you must have shared the content with them or made it public. However, content "at rest" is unencrypted on the Microsoft servers for OneDrive personal. OneDrive for Business (a different product, same technology, not free) offers encrypted storage.
http://www.alphr.com/apple/1000326/how- ... ud-storage

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:05 am 

Steve, looking at my OneDrive Account I have 1024 GB (1 TB) of storage through Office plus 15 GB free plus 15 GB Camera Roll Bonus plus 10 GB Loyalty Bonus for a total of 40 GB other than Office. Since I did opt to sign up through the grace period I have to guess that, at that time, I had 40 GB free. Of course that has nothing to do with what is available now. ;) LOL! Out of the ~1.4 TB I have on my main system on OneDrive I'm only using 56.4 GB. I guess I have enough... ;)

As to the security I knew that thransfers were encrypted but the actual stored files are not. Still, even if the stored files were encrypted, I would still not store personal information in the Cloud regardless of the supplier.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:13 am 
Site Admin

You may have had 50 gigs back in the day. 25 gigs + 15 gigs (camera roll) + 10 gigs (loyalty). :-)

"Personal" is a relative term -- your photos are personal. ;-) What do you consider personal data not to be entrusted to cloud storage?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 am 

sboots wrote:
"Personal" is a relative term -- your photos are personal. ;-) What do you consider personal data not to be entrusted to cloud storage?

Since I no longer sell photos anyone is welcome to them so that is not an issue.

What I would consider personal is anything that includes my Social Security or driver license number. Also absolutely nothing that deals with my bank account or any other billing services. For instance I pay my cable on-line and get a digital receipt. I would never store such items in the cloud.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm 

I was another that got all that extra storage via bonuses etc. but then as Jay I have the Office 365 subscription so get the extra.
Mind you I don't know what to do with all the storage I've got via different things. I've the Office storage, I've got storage via my ISP BT, and I've got unlimited photo storage via my Amazon Prime account, nearly forgot I've got storage via Jays photo gallery, trouble is I don't take that many photos although I've got quite a few but they're what I have from my daughter. :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?