Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:55 am 

About one month ago or more I decided to format the hard drive on Lenovo B575 laptop. I tried to format from the system on the laptop but it won't let me do it. So I decided to run " Darik's Nuke on my DVD to format the laptop. When that's done and I decided to go ahead to reinstall the operating system of Windows 7 from my Lenovo B575 recovery disks. But the laptop kept rebooting and you can see the Lenovo logo on the screen. I did try to hold the key with F2 to get into Setup or F12 into MultiBoot Menu but can't get into either one of F keys. Also noticed on top right corner of the laptop with two light System status indicators kept flashing. The second of the three light indicators show flashing is Num lock indicator and the third one is Hard Disk drive indicator. The first one did not flash at all is Caps lock indicator. Now how do I get this continuous reboot stop on my laptop? I have tried different things and so far nothing yet. Maybe one of you know how to get this stop then I can get into BIOS to make sure that CD/DVD is the first choice then the Hard Drive is second choice in BIOS setup. Remember that there is no operating system in it now. Sorry that I made another mess with computer stuff.

Your help would be appreciated

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:21 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
It is possible that when you ran Darik's Nuke on the system you destroyed a needed recovery partition that your recovery disks need to function. Odds are that you will need a retail version of the install DVD.

You should have just ran your recovery disks from the start which would have formatted the drive before restoring Windows.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:00 pm 

Thanks Jay and something is new to me that I wish that I have done with " just ran my recovery disks from the start which would have for formatted the drive before restoring Windows. " I sure did make a mess myself with the computer stuff. OK now you mean that I will need a retail version of the install DVD for my laptop. That mean that I have to purchase the activation key for retail version of Windows 7. But I am not sure which part to get Retail or OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium. Or might have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 retail version and I know that I have to purchase one first to get the COA keys. I was wondering if I get a free download from NeoSmart Technologies and it's Easy Recovery Essentials program. Will that work with this or not. Let me know about this.

Thank you again,

John

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Also, check the Lenovo site to see if they have a users forum. They might be able to tell you what the flashing lights mean.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:30 pm 

Already did post my message over at Lenovo community forums about the flashing lights. Will see what the other members there have to say.

Thanks,

John

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:40 pm 
Fearless Leader

John, in case you haven't done this, unplug the laptop and remove the battery also. Let it sit for awhile. Then put the battery back in, plug it in if you like or need to, and try again. Do not have any peripherals plugged in except mouse if you need it to navigate. (You may not, as the touchpad may be sufficient.)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:50 pm 

OK Patty and I will try this to see if that is working or not. Keep our fingers crossed to see if that case is working.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:30 pm 

OK Patty -- I did try this to unplug the laptop also remove the battery too also let it sit for awhile. Unfortunately still the same with the problem. Now I have one member from Lenovo community forum and he knows what he is doing with the Lenovo laptops. He gave me several try to see if my laptop work but nothing yet. He think that the problem is with BIOS fried on the motherboard. Because he asked me to put another hard drive to see if that will boot up the laptop and still the same. Also he said that I should take the laptop to the computer repair store and speak to the technician about this. He said that the technician should contact Lenovo support for more details not playing around that will cost me more money to repair. So I am not sure what to do with the laptop to get fix or not. That's what I got the information and my laptop is still not boot up yet.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:57 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
From your initially running Darik's Nuke I doubt that you can do anything directly through the system restore or recovery methods. You likely killed any option to restore the system by running this software. Basically Darik's Nuke totally destroyed everything on your hard drive. This means that you no longer have the needed recovery partition on your drive to restore Windows.

You just do not run software of this type casually.

I'm sorry but I doubt that I can help. If you have taken previous advice and have system image backups it is possible that you can restore but I doubt that is the case. If this were the case and you had taken this advice we likely would not be having this discussion.........

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:12 am 

OK thanks Jay for your information but what's about the recovery disks for Lenovo B575? I have those three recovery disks to reinstall Windows? Will that help or not.

John

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Can't hurt to try the recovery disks.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?