Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Re: Dual mice
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:58 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Oh well, only wasted 99 cents. I ordered the wrong adaptor. I just have a single 'combo' PS2 plug on my system that handles both a mouse and keyboard through the one plug. The adaptor I ordered is for a standard PS2 port where there would be two plugs. It won't even fit in the socket.

I'm curious, aside from the really old 5 pin DIN socket, and the not so old PS/2 keyboard/mouse sockets that looked the same but never were (colour coded to differentiate) i can't visualise the socket you have or what the adaptor looks like that you bought that doesn't fit... if you get a chance, pics would be appreciated.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:53 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The socket I have is the two color type that you describe in a way. It is just one socket with one half purple and one half green. It takes a hybrid PS2 cable that connects to both mouse and keyboard with a single cable. Top image is what I have, the second is what you are thinking. The pin configuration looks the same but the adaptor will not plug in.
Attachment:
ps2-1.jpg
ps2-1.jpg [ 6.46 KiB | Viewed 7563 times ]

Attachment:
ps2-2.jpg
ps2-2.jpg [ 6.43 KiB | Viewed 7563 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I thought those 2 colored ports were so you could use either a keyboard or mouse, I don't remember any hybrid PS/2 cables. I do remember USB adapter cables that had 2 PS/2 connections on them.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:20 pm 

No David, the single port split in half could handle both a PS2 mouse and keyboard at the same time. During the time of Windows Vista I had such a setup. One plug would go to the single dual port and had seperate plugs for the keyboard/mouse. Basically it adapted the single port to a dual port.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:24 am 
Site Admin

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Keyboar ... e+splitter

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:00 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
The socket I have is the two color type that you describe in a way. It is just one socket with one half purple and one half green.

Didn't know they existed so neither wonder i couldn't imagine what it looked like, your second pic was indeed what i was thinking.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that :)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:59 pm 

No problem Doddie. :)

The cable to which Steve linked is what I would need to get.

<edit>
Actually I just ordered the cable to which Steve linked. At a total of $4.23 why not. This does not mean that things will work. It depends on the attached mouse. Some USB wireless mice can be connected to PS2 while others cannot. We will see what happens. Even if this never works I'm just out $5.22 at this point, no big deal.

BTW, Thanks for the link Steve. :)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

You're welcome. So, you intend to plug a USB mouse and a USB keyboard into USB to PS2 adapters and then plug those into the splitter? That might indeed be iffy. The splitter would directly support a PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse plugged in. If your devices are USB, I'd plug them into USB ports unless the PC is so ancient so as to not have USB posts. :-)

[this is Jay's response/edit. :-)] --

Quote:
I think that you forgot the reason I'm trying to do this Steve. Shoot, I can plug ten USB mice to USB ports but there will only be one mouse pointer on the screen. I am trying to have two mice attached that have seperate and independant pointers.

While not yet proven it seems possible that using two different connection types MAY cause the generation of multiple mouse pointers. This is why I'm trying to go USB and PS2. By accident Doddie had this work.

Sigh, I think that I'm getting senile over my new bird or something. This is the second time in a week that I seem to have clicked 'edit' instead of 'quote' when responding.

I'm truly sorry for actually editing your post Steve. It was not my intent.

Not a problem, Jay. No harm done. :-D

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:31 pm 
welcoming committee

@Jay, historically a 'Birdstrike' has been associated with a collision between an aircraft and a bird... it's now becoming clear that a new definition is forming.

I.e: a "Jaylach Birdstrike".

My reasoning is this, this may get weird but stick with it ;) ...

I've always thought that "Jaylach" sounds like a species of bird (i assumed it's pronounced "jay lack") ... a combination of Jay & Lark so to speak (i know it isn't that but it sort of sounds like it is).

That you are now apparently losing the ability to tell the difference between "Quote" & "Edit" and attributing that to your latest acquisition, a cockatiel... I'd add also that only a couple of months ago you ventured with another form of bird, an electric one called a 'drone'...

The pieces of the jigsaw are quickly making a picture that can lead to only one conclusion... your lack of control when on this Forum can only be called one thing, a Jaylach Birdstrike, or Birdstrike for short.

Conclusion: I'd be careful if i were you, many more of these Birdstrikes and your moderator tools may be removed from your cage! :rofl2:

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:57 pm 

Just plain carelessness Doddie. I'm paying more attention to my bird than what I'm doing. No excuse for being sloppy when other peoples posts are being affected. :(

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:13 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Just plain carelessness Doddie. I'm paying more attention to my bird than what I'm doing. No excuse for being sloppy when other peoples posts are being affected. :(

I for one find your lapses of attention to detail highly amusing and I'd be amazed if anyone on CH felt differently... it IS nice to know that even geekazoid's get it wrong from time to time... gives the rest of us mere mortals hope! :rofl2

You recognised your cardinal sins straight away and apologised...

Mind you, Patty might be apoplectic if she knew what you were up to but i won't tell her if you don't! :gluck: :rofl2:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 pm 

I don't think that the dual mice setup is going to work. The PS2 setup works but only with a wired mouse. Wireless is problematic due to most being able to only accept USB signals. There are, supposedly, wireless USB mice that will accept both USB and PS2 signals but this is not worth it to me to buy another mouse that may or may not work.

Another issue is that my main mouse/keyboard uses a unifying dongle. Unfortunately I cannot connect a separate mouse USB dongle and have it work as the unifying dongle will interfere. A unifying dongle is a Logitech product that allows connecting up to 6 USB devices with one dongle.

At least for the time I'm going to drop this project. I have a hunch that what I'm after would fail anyway. My point was to be able to have a game running on one monitor and say a movie on the other with a mouse in position on each monitor. I have a strong hunch that clicking on something on the monitor with the movie would still change focus and cause the game to minimize. Since I can pause/play/stop/rewind/fast forward and adjust volume via my keyboard this is just worth further effort at this time. LOL! That does not mean it could not be visited again at another time as it is a proven fact that this can be done. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:14 pm 
welcoming committee

For someone who is "blind" you sure want a lot of monitors showing different things :)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:23 pm 

dvair wrote:
For someone who is "blind" you sure want a lot of monitors showing different things :)

LOL! I never said that I was really blind... well, OK, in one eye... ;)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Am i correct in my reading that you managed to have two mice on the same system as i suggested, PS2 & USB?

Quote:
I have a strong hunch that clicking on something on the monitor with the movie/game would still change focus and cause the game to minimize.

That would likely depend on the code of the software the movie is running in, Silverlight used to be terrible for not maintaining full screen on dual monitor setups until they allowed 3rd party developers to add in the ability.
My satellite TV provider in the UK, Sky, was woeful on adding the code to maintain full screen if another window on another screen was clicked on... it wasn't until they moved to HTML that they enabled similar code.

To a degree i got around that by using this old freeware, probably not Win10 compliant, WizMouse... i love this software, makes dual screen wheel scrolling so much easier :)
http://antibody-software.com/web/softwa ... the-mouse/

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:21 pm 

Very old thread but thought that I'd update as I now have dual mice and pointers at the same time. The second pointer is pretty ugly but it works. :mrgreen: I had pretty much forgotten about this but thought about it again today.

The solution was Teamplayer by Mindworks. It is only advertised as working on Windows XP and Vista but works fine on Windows 10 ver. 2004. I mentioned this package before as being too expensive but they have either added a free version or I missed the free version before.
https://teamplayer.en.uptodown.com/windows

Going to the second monitor does not minimize a game on the first monitor.

Here is what it looks like with three mice. One is blue, another white and my big fancy main mouse. ;)

Attachment:
teamplayer.jpg
teamplayer.jpg [ 7.22 KiB | Viewed 3680 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:10 pm 
welcoming committee

I only use one mouse/pointer per computer. On my dual mode computer, I often use the 'coon tail' pointer that you made for me a couple of years ago.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:29 am 

bbarry wrote:
I only use one mouse/pointer per computer. On my dual mode computer, I often use the 'coon tail' pointer that you made for me a couple of years ago.

I totally forgot about that mouse pointer. :)

In most cases I'll also only use one mouse on my dual monitor system but there some cases where a second pointer will come in handy for me. Nothing really important as is shown in the fact that I hadn't messed with it in over two and a half years. Man, how time flies! Doesn't seem near that long but, going by post time stamps, it must be. There is also the fact that I couldn't get it working and that always bothers me. :mrgreen:

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing