Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Nullsoft Winamp
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Unsure where to place this as it's a memory of days long passed in PC terms...

Nullsoft, how I wish you'd never sold Winamp... what a programme!
cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winamp

I still use it to this day but it drives me nuts every time I re-format because I always forget to back up the preset lists! :P

Post subject: Re: Nullsoft Winamp
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:19 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
WOW! Winamp brings back memories. And General Computing is fine as to the forum location. ;)

I well remember Winamp and installed it a few times but never stayed with the thing. I never had anything against the playback quality but tend to stay with Windows Media Player for music just due to my preference for visualizations that are available with WMP. I guess that you could say that I like to 'watch' my music as I listen. :mrgreen: My favorite visualization is 'Ribbons' which is part of the 'Phychedelia' package available through Microsoft.

Shoot, just for a specific visualization, I used to also use Real Player. Is that even still around?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:59 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Shoot, just for a specific visualization, I used to also use Real Player. Is that even still around?

I believe it is: http://www.real.com

I never really liked WMP or Real Player for my music, I found that Real Player would crash too often and the graphic equalizer in WMP was/is still far too simplistic for my tastes... not that I have any taste of course :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:27 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:

I believe it is: http://www.real.com

I never really liked WMP or Real Player for my music, I found that Real Player would crash too often and the graphic equalizer in WMP was/is still far too simplistic for my tastes... not that I have any taste of course :lol:

Ya, I found Real Player after I posted. I just MAY decide to install to see if it still has the visualization I liked. Sigh, it would be easier if I could remember the name of the danged thing! ;)

I never had Real Player crash that I can recall but that was years ago. I have never worried about the equalizer in WMP as I have been going through a separate sound system for a long time. Currently I'm using a Yamaha sound system on which I can set presets for different audio types.

:rofl2: I think that we have similar tastes. :mrgreen:

Anyway, this is supposed to be about Winamp. What features do you really like? I assume that the equalizer is one. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:41 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Doddie wrote:
Anyway, this is supposed to be about Winamp. What features do you really like? I assume that the equalizer is one. ;)

Yup, the equalizer is one, the ability to right click and select "Enqueue in Winamp" (one or multiple files) within Windows Explorer is another (via context menu)... in a nutshell it's just the simplicity that does it for me, I'm not into bells and whistles on my PC, it's simple, it's small, and it does what is says on the tin... best of all I guess seeing that its now 2017... is the complete lack of snooping/spying/ads/social media type stuff that almost everything else has these days! :twisted:

The only downside is I keep forgetting to save the settings every time I format my Windows partition meaning I need to rebuild my saved equalizer settings from scratch... which is a must when dealing with MP3's.
That said, I find playing an AC/DC track and adjusting the graphic equalizer to fit gives me a good base to work from if I save that as the "Default Preset"... that'll be horses for courses of course but for the most part it sits well with most of my musical tastes :lol:

I've added a pic of how I like my Winamp layout, ignore the equalizer settings (that's the base setting I was talking about), I haven't got round to tweaking them yet... on my dual monitor setup it sits on my second monitor when I'm in the mood for browsing and some music (hic, usually involves beer! hic) :D

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:15 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
:rofl2: I think that we have similar tastes. :mrgreen:

Jeez, I hope for your sake we don't! :rofl2:

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing