Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Boot Priority Order??
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:55 pm 

I am not quite sure myself about the boot priority order in my desktop. But I have heard that 1st boot priority order is CD & DVD Disk Drive. In my BIOS setup below from my desktop:

Boot Priority Order

1st Boot Device EFI Drive
2nd Boot Device Removable Device
3rd Boot Device Hard Drive
4th Boot Device CD & DVD
5th Boot Device Lan

EFI Drive Priority [ Press Enter ]
Hard Disk Drive Priority [ Press Enter ]
Optical Disk Drive Priority [ Press Enter ]
Removable Device Priority [ Press Enter ]
Network Device Priority [ Press Enter ]

My question is that what is EFI Drive also Removable Device too ? Now Am I correct that CD & DVD is 1st Boot Device over other drives but not sure about EFI Device or Removable Device.

Let me know about this and should change or leave as is. If I have to change the boot priority and can you tell me which is first then next with 2nd to 5th boot priority order.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:14 pm 
welcoming committee

Do you ever have to boot from the CD/DVD drive?

If you do, put it ahead of the hard drive in the order.

I believe a EFI drive would be a USB thumb drive that has a BIOS update on it.

I would leave as is except for moving up the CD/DVD drive IF you want to boot off one for any reason.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:55 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I totally agree with David's post. I MAY get back on something concerning EFI but I'd have to boot to my BIOS first to be sure if I'm thinking EFI or UFI. I'm just not in a position to re-boot at the moment.

I ALWAYS set my BIOS to have my CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive listed first but that is just me. Still, as you don't seem to have an actual issue, I'd leave things as they are as I don't believe in fixing what isn't broken. If you ever actually need to boot from the optical drive you can change the BIOS then or use whatever F# key brings up your boot selection menu.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:21 pm 

Thank you Dave and Jay for your reply to my messages. I have 3 devices for my desktop. The devices are wireless keyboard (Microsoft #800) and Logitech M570 Trackball Mouse with Logitech Unifying wireless receiver also Toshiba 2TB Canvio desktop external hard drive that are plugged in on the back of my desktop. So do you think that one of them is an EFI device? I will move up the CD DVD drive to be first but need to know the EFI device first before move up. Guess that I should google to get more information about each device that I have on my desktop.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:44 pm 

I don't really see the possibility of a keyboard or mouse showing as a possible boot device. It is possible that your external drive is the EFI device but I rather doubt that is the case but can't really say until I can go to my BIOS.

Putting the optical drive first should not have any influence on any other device as to your boot order. It just means that the system will check to see if there is a bootable CD/DVD/Blu-ray before going on to the next potential bootable device. It might add a second or two to your boot time but should not affect your actual boot unless there is a bootable optical disk in the drive. Even then, in most cases, you would have to hit a key to actually boot from the optical disk.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:59 pm 
welcoming committee

If you want to know what the EFI devices are (if any). Open the option that EFI Drive Priority [Press Enter] by pressing the enter key when it is highlighted. This should open another window with a listing of any EFI devices. Its the same with all those entries that say press enter, they will all open up and show you if there are any devices.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:30 pm 

OK here is the list that you want to know after hit [Press Enter] Look below:

EFI Device Priority BLANK

Hard Disk Drive Priority 1st Boot Device [Kingston SV300S37A...] SSD
2nd Boot Device [ST2000M001-1ER164] Hard Drive
3rd Boot Device [Toshiba] External Hard Drive for Backup

Optical Disk Drive Priority [HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH...] CD/DVD Disk

Removable Device Priority [Blank]

Network Device Priority Device [Blank]

Hope that will help you that what I have all information with Boot Priority Order. I wonder if I can move EFI Device Priority down to near the bottom of list because of blank inside that device. And will move Optical Disk Drive Priority to the top.

Let me know about this if go ahead to changes the boot device priority in order.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:26 am 

Everyone is different and has different needs but here is how I set up my priorities.

1) Optical drive

2) Hard drive

3) Everything else disabled.

My boot time suffers but only very slightly when the system looks for something to boot on the optical drive. To be honest the only reason that I have my optical drive listed first is that, if I need to boot from the thing, I probably have an issue. If I have an issue I probably don't feel like having to go to the BIOS to change things.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing