Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: Earthquake in Wales!
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:22 pm 
welcoming committee

I blame Joan, i bet she dropped a stitch again!! :rofl2:

Just look at the effect you've had on your neighbours... a horse runs, a cat runs out the door before the owner, suspicion of fat pigeons on a chimney suddenly putting on more weight... :rofl2:

I'll refrain from posting some of the glaring 'double entendres' in the BBC article... nope, can't help it... :338:
Quote:
Steven Clathworthy, who lives near Bridgend, south Wales, said he heard a bang and the settee moved.
"All the neighbours were out asking 'what's happening?'" he said.
Quote:
Louise Craig, from Connah's Quay in north Wales, said it was "the most excitement I've had on a Saturday afternoon for a while".
Quote:
Did anyone else feel the earth move about 5 mins ago? Definitely a tremor here in Liverpool. I’m in a flat and it made a weird noise and moved from side to side for about ten seconds. #earthquake #tremor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43097113

:rofl2:

Post subject: Re: Earthquake in Wales!
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:56 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I remember in, I think, 1986 before I left Ohio we had a minor quake around lunch time. It was VERY rare as Ohio just does not get quakes. People didn't know what it was and people in the drive through at fast food places thought that the person behind drove in to them. :rofl2: I pretty much slept through it as I was working night shift but it did wake me up for a short bit. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:49 am 

:rofl2: And I wasn't even knitting. :rofl2:

Hubby said it was the Welsh rugby team warming up for the 6 nations. :rofl2:

Never felt a thing here, didn't know anything about it till I saw some news headlines and we're only a couple of hours down the road from Swansea, hubby was there a couple of weeks ago having his first check up at the hospital after his emergency pace maker fitting. :roll:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:01 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
Hubby said it was the Welsh rugby team warming up for the 6 nations. :rofl2:

I like his thinking! :rofl2:

If Scotland beat England on Saturday at Murrayfield i suspect the earthquake England experiences when the rest of the UK simultaneously jumps up and down will make your Welsh one look silly ;)

That said, I'm still trying to understand how after the autumn tests Scotland got thumped by Wales... we were pretty much within a pass of beating New Zealand and thumped the Aussies... not that Wales aren't a very good team, but that humping you gave us???

Beating the "Auld Enemy" always makes up for everything... even if it is a rare occurrence... one still hopes, and expects! :nana1:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02 pm 

Well I'm English and I don't care who beats who, although years ago I'd be more inclined to support the Welsh if anyone asked me, they were virtually unbeatable. :-)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:30 pm 
welcoming committee

LOL, my wife is English and she says the same thing but i don't believe her for a second... the wry smile she can never quite hide when England win at anything is always a giveaway!

When it comes to rugby, she 'claims' dual nationality with South Africa, when her father was laid off as a steelworker at Ravenscraig in the late 70's (thanks to Thatcher! <enter expletive>) he moved her and the rest of her family to South Africa to continue his trade... sometimes i hate my wife! LOL

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:56 am 

Doddie wrote:
LOL, my wife is English and she says the same thing but i don't believe her for a second... the wry smile she can never quite hide when England win at anything is always a giveaway!

When it comes to rugby, she 'claims' dual nationality with South Africa, when her father was laid off as a steelworker at Ravenscraig in the late 70's (thanks to Thatcher! <enter expletive>) he moved her and the rest of her family to South Africa to continue his trade... sometimes i hate my wife! LOL

That woman has a lot to answer for, Thatcher that is not your wife. :D
There are times when I'm ashamed to claim I'm English if you look back at some of the things they've done through history. :roll:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:51 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
That woman has a lot to answer for, Thatcher that is not your wife. :D
There are times when I'm ashamed to claim I'm English if you look back at some of the things they've done through history. :roll:

LOL, i know you didn't mean that read the way I'm reading it, but yeah, there are times when my wife reminds me of Thatcher as well! :rofl2:

About feeling ashamed... surely not much could have been worse than the South African apartheid system... some of the stories my wife tells me of her time there are truly jaw-dropping.

I won't, for obvious reasons talk about the worst of them online, and in no way do i blame or attribute any guilt at her, she was moved there when she was 12 and returned to the UK at 16... basically her formative years so she had no choice.

That said her time there did leave a scar, if that's the right word?... she is now vehemently anti racist and has no tolerance whatsoever for anyone who shows even the slightest inclination for anything other than equality for all.

I will share this though, her father moved her family to Vanderbiljpark to work in the steelworks there, a town not far south of Johannesburg, about 5 years ago we used Google Streetview/Satellite to see if their old house still existed.... not only did it still exist but from the outside it was EXACTLY the same, complete with what appears to be a garage without a driveway.

When i asked her why there was no driveway leading to the garage she explained that isn't a garage, that's where the servants lived... i was gobsmacked when she told me a family of four lived in there (parents with 2 kids her age) with no electricity, running water, toilet facilities... or rooms!
I almost couldn't believe it, what really struck me was that every house in the street (the entire town afaict?) had one of these 'garages' and most of them were to the rear of the main house, hers was on the side of the house because they lived on a street corner, hence why i thought there should be a driveway!

I can't look at those images any more so the current Streetview/Satelitte imagery may no longer show what I'm talking about, when she told me the stories of how she used to play with the 'black' (not her word but i'm struggling to find a better way of putting it) children and how kind and her caring their parents were i was reduced to tears... my wife's mother used to feed them in the house but she had to close the curtains while they ate because if the authorities found out that was happening my wife's parents would have been prosecuted and the servants beaten, or worse.
The neighbours would have reported them in the blink of an eye if they saw what was happening!!

If anyone should feel guilty it would be me, i didn't take the time to know more about what was happening in South Africa when there was a huge worldwide campaign to end it... i chose instead to carry on living my insular life.

I hope not to make that mistake again but i fear that i may already be to late, Syria, a Syrian refugee has cut my hair for the last two years... he took over the old barbers shop i used for many years when the then owner retired about two years ago... we discussed then how Syria was a beautiful country rich in history and how tragic it was that the country was being torn apart by war, by apparently one man (Assad)... i had my hair cut last week and I simply couldn't bring myself to ask him how he felt now that Turkey, Iran, and Russia have seemingly officially entered into the 'war'.

If anyone here can explain what the end game is in Syria i'd love to hear what your opinion is because it seems the whole world is bombing that country and not only is there no end game... there is no reason for it starting... the 'Arab Spring' and 'regime change' were apparently reasons in the beginning, but the 'west' has gone silent... meanwhile the world and their dogs are bombing innocent civilians and everything else in sight!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Blimey, that was a rant!... didn't intend it to be, but hey-ho, when the fingers type.. go with the flow :)

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion