Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:05 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hats off to a Sheridan Wyoming computer shop called Just Computers!

History... When I ran my computer company I would give discounts on the labor on computer builds/upgrades if the client would donate the old equipment. I would take these parts and put together viable systems to donate to families with kids that could not afford. I'd really like to start doing this again but don't really want to start my business again so I don't have much of a supply of parts.

Enter Just Computers! On a whim I contacted them stating what I wanted to do. You just cannot beat small town! Here is the response. :)
Just Computers wrote:
Any old, yet useful, stuff I have is yours. I'd rather it used than recycled.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:21 pm 
welcoming committee

:tup2:

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 pm 

To get an idea as to how decent this shop happens to be I had them repair a laptop I didn't want to mess with. The thing was over heating and shutting down. A young person donated to me to fix and give to a nice lady that just could not buy a system. I figured that the fan was gone and started taking the thing apart. I hate working on laptops and when I found that I would have to totally break it down to the point of even having to remove the monitor and keyboard I wanted no part of it. I took it to Just Computers and it was discovered that the fan was not blown, just clogged up to where it could not spin. Total cost for the repair... $35.00.

BTW, not that any on these forums are close enough to use the shop, I even like the 'attitude' of their site.
https://justcomputerstc.com/

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:17 pm 

That is a really brilliant offer Jay very generous, their site is very honest and down to earth, well that's my opinion. :-)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, that does sound like a neat computer shop. Since you don't want to start your own business again, have you considered offering your services to them on a consulting basis? I would bet that your wide basis of experience and expertise would be a welcomed asset.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:32 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay, that does sound like a neat computer shop. Since you don't want to start your own business again, have you considered offering your services to them on a consulting basis? I would bet that your wide basis of experience and expertise would be a welcomed asset.

I don't know BB... It would be very much like opening my business again. The problem is that I just don't seem to have the 'drive' anymore. Take when I rebuilt my main system. Seriously it was about a 2-2.5 hour job but it took me 2-2.5 days to complete.

The problem with consulting is that you are still on a schedule. If they call you have to respond. In the future who knows. Shoot, I've only been retired for 5 months. In another 5 months I very well may decide to open my business again. Right now I'm still getting my feet wet as to even being retired and totally enjoying being responsible to nothing but myself. I still do work on systems as is indicated by a post I just made today.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1774&p=18910#p18910

The thing is that I currently work on a system on MY schedule when and if I want. Even if I offered my services as a consultant to Just Computers that would put me on another's schedule at least partially.

BB, I'm still deciding and exploring what I want to do. That is not the time to make commitments. It would be like dating a lady and asking her to move in before even knowing if you want to be in a relationship. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I understand about the schedule and commitments. I'm truly glad to see you enjoying your retirement, and that's what you should do right now. When I retired, I spent the first two years doing what I wanted to do, which included a lot of traveling on both a motorcycle and in a small motorhome. But then some ex-working associates persuaded me to come back and consult with them, which I did. For the first year or so of consulting, I rather enjoyed it....gave me a chance to keep the skill set functioning and the opportunity to work with and visit old friends. But then these old friends wanted more and more consulting work out of me, so I decided to quit and once again retire. Since that time I have done nothing but relax and enjoy my 5 acres of Arkansas paradise.

So keep enjoying and exploring your retirement......maybe even do some traveling this spring & summer?

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion