Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:52 pm 
welcoming committee

I've been a long standing supporter that the UK should never be part of a Federal EU, the Common Market made sense but ever since the Maastricht Treaty in 1992 i saw where we were heading, the Lisbon Treaty in 2007 was the final nail for me...

cf. http://www.euro-sceptic.org/a-list-of-t ... he-eu.html

The above link even though it's from a sceptic website doesn't give the full story but it does rather nicely lay out in layman's tems what each treaty was supposed to be about.

Nothing is simple with the European Union though, the devil is always in the detail, Eurocrats have no match anywhere in the world for hiding the devils details!

Anyways, today marks the day that the UK Parialment formally starts debating the "The Great Repeal Bill", officially known as the "European Union (Withdrawal) Bill", for me this is a huge day :nana1:

What we, the UK public, end up with at the end of the debates in parliament and the final (if any) agreement with the EU looks like is open to debate but I'm 100% convinced it will be better than the status quo and infinitely better than what we'd have in 10,20,30 years time.

As an aside, the whole UK/EU relationship has been nothing more than a can of worms, you only need to read the following to get some glimpse into the political shenanigans that go on...
Quote:
A written Constitution Treaty for the EU was drafted and agreed by Europe's leaders in June 2004. Tony Blair, the prime minister of the day, promised Britons a referendum on the text, to be the first popular British vote on Europe since 1975. But the original text was dropped after voters in France and the Netherlands rejected it in two referendums. The British vote was cancelled.

Two years later most of the Constitution's provisions were resurrected in the Lisbon Treaty, a document critics say is as much of a threat to national sovereignty as the old text would have been. In one of his first major decisions as prime minister, Gordon Brown broke Mr Blair's promise to hold a referendum on the new treaty.
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/majorne ... -next.html

Anyways, times are a changing, roll on 29/03/19 :D

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:33 pm 

I agree with you there Doddie, I'm not into politics but as far as I'm concerned the sooner we're out the better. They didn't even ask us if we wanted to join and at first it was just to give help to our farmers and was just the Common Market making it easier for us to trade between countries.

It's more like a dictatorship now faceless people telling us what we can and can't do I mean even telling us what power our vacuums etc. should be, that's getting ridiculous grrrrrrrrr.

That's it before I get any angrier got enough at present sorting out this new heating system. :evil:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan, you dark horse! ;)

I don't think I've ever read of anything getting you angry... vacuums... who'd have guessed? :rofl2:

That said, the whole issue of the UK being anything other than an independent "Island Nation" makes no sense to me... we have for thousands of years in history fought for this island and our right to self determination; the Scots, English and Welsh have always fought back and when required we've joined forces.

We have of course had our internal disagreements, sometimes bloody, sometimes political... we probably always will have disagreements and likewise the political landscape will no doubt go full circle and Scotland will once again be a Nation again... but we all live on the same island and when push comes to shove i have no doubt we'll always find a way to defend it.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion