Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: A total trio of gems! :)
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:06 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Obviously I'm a movie freak. ;)

I also LOVE a lot of the older movies. Today I just got three gems. One I had sort of forgotten about and another I've been looking for. The third was a throw-in but still a gem.

We'll start with the forgotten one... The Fly; original 1958 version. I haven't actually watched but just 'flipping through' it seems flawless.

Number two is the original 1951 version of 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'. This is one of the all time best Sci-fi movies ever done. Again, just flipping through, I see zero quality issue.

Then, as sort of a throw in, I got the movie 'In Like Flint' staring James Coburn. This is sort of a James Bond parody and quite humorous.

Total cost for these gems was $10.00. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:17 am 
Fearless Leader

Never saw The Fly, but love the other two!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:21 am 

Patty, without the movie 'The Fly' I don't know if Star Trek would have had the transporter. ;)

<edit>
Patty, the reason I brought Star Trek into this is the whole premise of the movie The Fly is that this guy is developing a matter transporter. While testing a fly gets in the chamber and they are combined into two entities with aspects of both. The end result is a human body with the head of a fly and the body of a fly with the head of a human. I know that this sounds silly but it is still a really good movie. In a way I think that it is trying to point out that we are advancing as to technology faster than our intelligence is keeping up.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:15 pm 

I remember The Fly but not the others.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:15 pm 
welcoming committee

The original The Day The Earth Stood Still is a fantastic film, i haven't seen it for many many years, indeed i probably haven't even seen it in its entirety because when i did see it it was on the BBC and they had/have a terrible habit of editing movies to fit them into available time slots :(

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:32 pm 

@ Joan: The Day The Earth Stood Still is a story were the 'Galactic Society' detects that we have achieved nuclear ability. A member of this group visits Earth with the warning that, if we do not stop our violence we will be destroyed. Of course we killed him but the advanced technology they had brought him back for a time during which he gave the final warning and left. When considering that the movie was well done, and also carried a relevant message as to what we are doing as to the continued violence on this planet, this movie is awesome and still relevant. It is an absolutely wonderful piece of art.

In Like Flint is humorous and enjoyable but nothing to be taken seriously. I always considered it as a sort of parody on the James Bond type movies.

@ Doddie: Any chance that you have Netflix? The full version of the original Day The Earth Stood Still is available there.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:22 pm 

Thanks for the explanation Jay, not really my kind of film, well to be honest we don't bother watching films, I'm usually engrossed on my computer so don't bother watching or listening to what's on TV.

Hubby is usually either on his computer or doing a crossword, if he hasn't fallen asleep, which he denies and says he's resting his eyes and listening, how I don't know when he's usually snoring. :-P

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:29 pm 

Obviously, Joan, I'm also constantly on my main system. That is one of the reasons that I love my dual large monitor setup. I can pull up a movie and still do computer stuff while watching the movie.

LOL! The biggest issue with my media setup is that I have over 550 movies... by the time I figure out what to watch I often decide that I don't want to watch anything anymore... ;)

I loved reading that your Hubby denies falling asleep and insists that he is just 'resting his eyes'. My father did the exact same thing. :)

Thinking of watching TV/movies my grandfather was also bad. He was the first in my family to get a color TV. The problem was that you could never see anything but his butt as he was always bent over the thing adjusting the controls. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:42 pm 

jaylach wrote:
Obviously, Joan, I'm also constantly on my main system. That is one of the reasons that I love my dual large monitor setup. I can pull up a movie and still do computer stuff while watching the movie.

LOL! The biggest issue with my media setup is that I have over 550 movies... by the time I figure out what to watch I often decide that I don't want to watch anything anymore... ;)

I loved reading that your Hubby denies falling asleep and insists that he is just 'resting his eyes'. My father did the exact same thing. :)

Thinking of watching TV/movies my grandfather was also bad. He was the first in my family to get a color TV. The problem was that you could never see anything but his butt as he was always bent over the thing adjusting the controls. :mrgreen:

You always had to be adjusting them in the early days :)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:19 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
you always had to be adjusting them in the early days :)

... or hitting them! :mad5: :rofl2:

@Jay, i dropped Netflix when i took out my Amazon Prime subscription and got Prime Video as part of the package... Netflix UK movie updates back them were abysmal, i might have another look at Netflix to see if they've improved in the UK since but i won't hold my breathe if my work colleagues comments are anything to go by.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion