Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:25 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This isn't really about my now having a TV in my bedroom again but to let it be known that there is a pretty good deal at Walmart... Hate that store...

I got a 32 inch Sanyo HDTV today at Walmart for $128.00. Just thought that I'd throw out the info in case anyone is in the market.

When I went to dual monitors in my living room I ordered an Asus 23 or 24 inch monitor with speakers as the second monitor but it was just too small next to my 42 in. I pulled my then bedroom 32 inch HDTV to use as the second monitor and threw the small Asus in the bedroom. This Sanyo gets me back to a usable size in the bedroom. The small Asus monitor is now connected to my laptop on a corner type desk. I'm about to go order a wireless mouse/keyboard combo for the laptop. I already have a wireless mouse on the thing but, if I get a combo, I'll just leave the lid closed and use the combo.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 am 
welcoming committee

Ok, so I expected something different when I saw the title "bedroom" video...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:15 pm 

I split off my second post Manny. It was initially here due to the new bedroom TV starting it all.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:28 pm 
Fearless Leader

Manny Carvalho wrote:

Ha ha...

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:23 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
Manny Carvalho wrote:

Ha ha...

Sigh... I *AM* getting old! :( That went right over my head...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:53 pm 

Setup in the bedroom is pretty much done. I did have a bit of an issue sending from my laptop to the bedroom but that was just my forgetting to finish the setup. Sigh, I forgot to go to the display settings on the laptop to establish the bedroom HDTV as an added monitor. At first all I got in the bedroom was audio but now all is well.

As to the laptop to bedroom it involved wireless HDMI. My laptop has 'WiDi' which is Intel Graphics proprietary system for sending a wireless HDMI signal. The receiving display needs a receiver which I have; it is made by Net Gear. How this works is that I connect the wireless HDMI receiver to an HDMI port on the bedroom HDTV. Launch the WiDi app on the laptop and everything on the laptop is streamed to the bedroom HDTV. It actually works quite well. :) Of course I need to be able to control the laptop from the bedroom when doing this. At first I thought there was going to be a problem with this as I took the laptop's mouse to the bedroom and pointed the 'head' of the mouse toward where the laptop sits it did nothing. However, if I point the head of the mouse toward the open bedroom door, it seems to bounce off the living room wall and works just fine. Since I would only stream from the laptop to watch movies all I really need is the mouse so don't have to port the keyboard back and forth.

It is a kind of convoluted setup as to getting it all together but is working well. All my movies are on an internal 4 TB drive on my main desktop system. My main desktop and laptop are networked with the laptop having access to my 4 TB media drive. My laptop sends to my bedroom. I go in the bedroom and open my Excel movie menu and select a movie and it plays on the laptop which streams to my bedroom.

I know that this all sounds REALLY complicated but it really is not. Once set up it is just point and click. :)

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion