Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: Hurricane Matthew
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:48 pm 
welcoming committee

My thoughts, prayers and good wishes are with the people of Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas tonight and for the next few days.

I survived a hurricane off the Galveston coast in 1983, and it was terrifying. Back in those days we didn't have the warning systems we have today.....just battery-operated weather radios and flying flags.

Post subject: Re: Hurricane Matthew
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:57 pm 
Fearless Leader

bbarry wrote:
My thoughts, prayers and good wishes are with the people of Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas tonight and for the next few days.

Mine also.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:15 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Same here! The southern and central portions of Florida get hit hard but the north east is pretty mellow.

I lived 16 years in Jacksonville Beach FL and saw a LOT of storms but never took a direct hit. Unless the storm goes stationary, then takes off at nearly a 90 degree angle west, the north east coast of Florida almost never takes a direct hit. The way the coast is it is like the area is a huge bay. That is why the Navy has a Carrier Basin there.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:24 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sadly Mathew seems to be the exception to the rule. Jacksonville Beach is taking a beating. Looking at videos, and knowing the areas I'm seeing, there WILL be a LOT of property damage to coastal businesses and residences. Fortunately the flood damage should not go too far inland as the 'coastal slpope' is fairly steep.

I sincerely hope that the insurance companies do not do the same as they did about 10-12 years ago in central Florida where they just plain said "Sue us, you can't win! We are not going to pay on policies.". The Federal Government backed the insurance companies stateing something along the lines of 'exessive claims for an area' whatever that means. People were completely covered, including hurricane coverage, yet their homes were destroyed and the insurrance companies got away with paying nothing. FEMA was shown to be the main cause of this injustice but the insurance companies had their loophole and won. I don't really understand all of what went on but it seems that FEMA wanted to make a show and claimed that they were going to fix everything. The insurance companies made the stand that FEMA took over so they had no control, hence were not responsible. FEMA was totally unable to really do anything so, basically, just walked away. Thousands of people lost everything yet got nothing even though 'fully' covered.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:26 am 
welcoming committee

Same old story, those in power and those with money can do whatever they want. Fortunately in this great country of ours those in power and with money are a little bit better behaved than those in most of the rest of the world.

We are one nation under God in spite of the politicians, not because of the politicians.
Acadia

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion