Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: Desktop Reminder
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:32 am 
welcoming committee

Does anyone know of a small program for the desktop that would remind you, for instance,
that you have a dental appointment tomorrow and the day of the appointment?

Post subject: Re: Desktop Reminder
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:43 am 
Site Admin

If you use Calendar in Windows 8/10, appointments can be set with reminders.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ifications
Cortana in Windows 10 can set reminders.
On Windows 7, you would need a 3rd party app.
-steve

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes, I have an excellent one, only problem, it is not a small program. It is called MacroExpress and I first heard about it on Steve Gibson's website when he raved about it. I have been using it for almost 12 years, it was one of my first programs.

Setting reminders is only one of its many features. You can program multiple keystrokes into just one key. For example, whenever I want to surf the Internet by opening a browser inside of Sandboxie, I just hit one key, many things are then done automatically. Also, I have it programmed to warn me to close certain security programs when doing certain things. Some of my security programs can kill certain processes or functions, but MacroExpress reminds to temporarily kill those security programs.

We had MacroExpress at the State Library of Pennsylvania where I retired from, but I was one of the few that knew its potential and used it. I had over 100 macros programmed. My supervisor many times said to me, "Bill, how are you able to do so much work so quickly?" With one key stroke I was able to do what others needed 12 keystrokes to do, no exaggeration.

But getting back to something similar to your need, I have MacroExpress remind me to take the trash out every Monday night.

Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:10 pm 
welcoming committee

I use a little utility 1stClock and it replaces the windows clock, auto updates, and has an excellent alert system. It is very small

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:16 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You MAY already have such a program installed if you use an email client such as Outlook or Live Mail. Both have easy to use calendar functions that include reminders from half a day prior to two weeks prior. At least Live Mail will remind from half a day to two weeks. I haven't really much used the calendar in Outlook. I'm sure that Outlook would have a reminder feature but I don't know the time frames.

@ Pete: 1stClock looks rather interesting ( http://www.1stclock.com/ ). Back when I had a business I would have probably been quite interested. Any more the calendar function in Live Mail does me well enough for reminding about an appointment with the VA or something but these days, other than work for, probably, about one more year, my life is largely leisure. Still a rather nice looking utility! :)

As a note 1stClock is not free but does include a thirty day free trial. Currently there is also a deal to lower the normal price of $29.99 to $19.99. As an added note about the $10.00 off this post was made on 2/6/2016. I don't know how long the deal lasts.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:28 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Just as a side note I just learned something about Windows 7 tray clock. It actually allows multiple time displays, I never knew that. Click on the clock then click 'Change date and time settings'. From there click the 'Additional clocks' tab. You can add two more clocks. Since I watch sports I added EST and PST. Now, if I hover my mouse over the clock, it will show all three time zones in text. If I click on the clock it will show all three as analog clocks. Does not allow reminders so is not an answer to this thread but I think it still pretty cool.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:19 pm 
welcoming committee

You know Jay the thing that really attracted me to 1stclock wasn't the calendar, it was how you modify the display to show what I want, and display in colors that stood out to the eye

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:25 pm 
welcoming committee

I found one called Rainlendar. Free, small and easy to use.

Thanks to everyone.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Smitty wrote:
I found one called Rainlendar.

I have Rainlendar, also free version, and I LOVE it! I only use it as a calendar showing on my desktop, can it do pop-up reminders too or are you using the calendar itself for a reminder? Smitty, after you get used to it and learn it, the options give you all sorts of neat features. You can change the appearance of the calendar, even make it "see through" so I can see my more of my beautiful desktop. Neat program, can't believe the free version can do so much.

In this thread you can see how I have Rainlendar set up, further down on the thread, it is on my secondary monitor:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1190
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Smitty wrote:
I found one called Rainlendar.

I have Rainlendar, also free version, can it do pop-up reminders too
Acadia

Yes.. Just right click on the date for "new event" and fill it in. Later, when you
want to delete the message, right click on the date for a sub menu.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion